Shireen Abu Akleh: Violence erupts at funeral of Al Jazeera journalist shot in West Bank

Mourners carrying her coffin through East Jerusalem were met with a forceful response from Israeli security forces

Violence erupts between Israeli security and mourners from carrying the casket of slain Al-Jazeera journalist Shireen Abu Akleh Credit: AHMAD GHARABLI /AFP

Violence has erupted at the funeral of Shireen Abu Akleh, an Al Jazeera journalist who was shot dead while reporting in the West Bank earlier this week.

Images aired on Palestine TV showed Al Jazeera reporter Shireen Abu Akleh's coffin nearly falling to the ground as police grabbed flags from the crowd around the procession.

An AFP reporter separately saw Israeli forces enter the grounds of St Joseph's hospital in Israeli-annexed east Jerusalem. There was no immediate comment from Israeli police on the incident.

The funeral comes as the interim findings of an Israeli army investigation could not determine who fired the bullet that killed Ms Abu Akleh.

"The conclusion from the interim report is that it's not possible to determine the source of the gunfire that hit and killed the reporter", the Israeli army said in said in a statement.

"The investigation shows two possibilities for the source of the shot that killed her," the report said.

Family and friends of the reporter carry the coffin Credit: AMMAR AWAD /REUTERS
Israeli security forces prevent mourners from carrying the casket Credit: AHMAD GHARABLI /AFP

The first could have been "massive fire of Palestinian gunmen (at Israeli soldiers), as part of which hundreds of bullets were shot from a number of locations."

"The other option is that during the gunfight, one of the soldiers shot a few bullets from a jeep using a telescopic scope at a terrorist who was firing at his vehicle," it added.

Israel and the Palestinians have traded blame over the fatal shooting, with Israel calling for a joint probe and stressing the need for Palestinian authorities to hand over the fatal bullet for forensic examination.

The Palestinian Authority has rejected holding a joint probe with Israel, saying Israel was "completely responsible" for her death.